Friday, September 8, 2017

Naturopathic follow up

Hello!

Well, I went to see a Naturopathic doctor (she also practices Western medicine too!) back in May of this year. She ended up running 22 vials of blood -- while fasting! Wowzer! It came back that I was deficient in quite a few things. My gut basically failed as did my hormones. The good news she told me is that my heart health is AMAZING, she gave me an A+ !

Anyhow, for the last 4 months she placed me on a supplement regimen. I am taking iodine, amino acids, Vit D, high quality liquid vitamin and bioidentical hormones. She said after 10 weeks, she will retest everything that came back bad. Due to stress & just not having any time to run to get my blood work done, it's been 16 weeks ---YIKES!

Yesterday I was committed to finally going and getting my blood work checked.

Here's a funny story for you! :)

Wednesday night we ate dinner around 5:30pm, I wasn't very hungry so I didn't eat a lot. I woke up Thursday and obviously had to fast for my blood test so I didn't eat breakfast either. I made the kids lunches, got them dressed and walked them to school. I walked back home & hopped into the shower. I arrived at the blood place around 9:30am (starving). I was so happy to find that the place was empty and no waiting.

They called my name and I went back. I knew this test would be extensive, but I didn't realize it would be 17 vials (or I wouldn't have gone alone). The guy seemed very flustered with the 17 stickers that printed out. He counted them & recounted them about 20-30 times (no lie). He was nervously laughing and shaking. I was like "Oh crap, he's new", which made me nervously laugh back. The thoughts of "He better do this right cuz I don't wanna do this again", raced through my head. He kept leaving the room to get different vials. He put some back then took them out again. By now, my heart was pounding and I was sweating & praying "Please Lord Jesus let this go okay". lol.

He put the thing around my arm and starts feeling around for a vein "got one!" he exclaimed pretty excitedly. He put the needle in and it's complete silence. He has the vials laying on the arm rest and I kept thinking "what if they roll off". I'm pretty sure I was his first time doing it alone patient. What if he bumped the vials and they all fell to the floor? Yikes. Well, due to the complete silence, I looked at the filled vials to see how much more time I had sitting here. In about 4 minutes, only 4 vials were filled. Ack. Apparently he also used too small of a needle because the blood was just trickling out. My vision started going wonky and I told him "I think I'm getting a little woozy". I knew that would freak him out, but 20 minutes to draw 17 vials of blood wasn't in the cards for me that day. He said "Ok, just let me know if you feel sick", I said "Ok". Another, 4 minutes passed and now my hands and feet went numb. I told him "Ok, I'm going to pass out". The last thing I remember is him saying "Oh my gosh and he left the room". I heard him hollering for help. Then I was out. Cold. I woke up to being passed out face forward onto the arm rest that goes across your lap. The needle was in my arm but he was attempting to get it out. There was a bunch of ladies in there saying my name "Mandy, Mandy, are you awake? Mandy". I could hear them, I was just frozen, I couldn't speak. Finally I was able to open my eyes. My hair was soaking wet from sweat. I felt so nauseated. The guy stood there just staring in complete shock and God bless the girls, they were putting cold wash cloths all over me trying to bring me back.

I kept saying "I'm so sorry, I'm so embarrassed." They assured me that this happens quite often.

The gal asked "Do you want us to finish or do you wanna come back?" I asked how many vials were left and she said "10".  I said "Lets just do this now". They walked me to a bed. I waited for the guy to come back & he never did. Finally the girl walks in and says "Ok, he's too busy I'm going to finish you". I gotta say I was so relieved. She strapped my arm, and poked me. Meanwhile talking to me the whole time. I could tell the vein kept collapsing on her because she had to keep re-sticking me.  But, she acted like it was no big deal and kept on trucking. She said she used a larger needle to fill them quickly. I was done with the 10 vials in about 5 minutes. I felt fine.

So anyway, I left the blood place and made a b-line for some Orange juice. I felt terrible. I went home, laid on the couch & just feel asleep for 2 hours. Never have I done that before ... ACK.

That brings me to today, right now I'm just waiting for the results. To see how well I've done with my supplement regimen.

I'm happy to announce that I haven't had a soda OR sweet tea in about 10 months! I also have cut down on my white sugar intake about 85%.  I will only eat ice cream or a donut once or twice a month. It's only for special times. Other than that, I do not eat any sweets whatsoever.

I'm hoping to get my body in tip top shape! I have also lost 14 pounds in those 10 months, by just cutting the sugars. WOW.

I do need to clean up my diet a lot more, but everything is a work in progress.

I have also worked on keeping a "clean" chemical free house. We threw away all dryer sheets, chemical laden detergents and cleaners. We only buy clean/natural/organic shampoos, tooth paste and deodorants ... Though, I haven't been wearing deodorant at all. I've been managing "odors" by showering often and using vinegar to kill bacteria. I cover it up with some essential oils :) On average, I also do not wear makeup anymore. Just on rare occasions.

I'm almost a hippy :) And honestly, I love it! I hope to teach the kids the joys of being clean & natural. No need to cover up who we are anyways <3

No comments:

Post a Comment